In my readings, I have recently come across various other research methods for student use. Once again, they were all quite similar to each other. With all of the infinite research models and all of them being quite similar, I started to wonder to myself, “how many times can we describe what an apple is? – Isn’t an apple just an apple and that’s the end of it?” Then, I came across one designed for students with learning difficulties.
“I-Search Interstate” was created by Ken Macrorie (Milam, 2004, p.21). If you are curious about it, you can read more here: Milam, P. (2004). Destination Information: A Road Map for the Journey. Library Media Connection, 22(7), 20-23. The idea of this is to make the research process easier for those who have learning disabilities or are struggling with researching (p.21-22). It focuses on having the student include their own opinions about what they are researching. I don’t think that I would totally rely on this method since it doesn’t really challenge a child to think critically in the same way that some of the other methods do, but it can be a good starting point for those who are struggling.
I-Search Interstate is incredibly simplified and couldn’t be used in a regular upper level class for a serious research project, though I suppose it could be used in a kindergarten class (with a buddy class) or a primary class. It could conceivably get young children used to the idea of what it means to research something. The younger we get children thinking about the value of accurate research, the better their output will be later on and the better their critical thinking skills will be about reference sources and the world around them.
I guess if I were to return to my initial impression about everything being the very similar, I guess I could conclude that, “Yes, an apple is an apple, but with a better developed eye and palette, you can better see the uses for each kind and taste the differences.” I suppose that with more experience and with testing out various methods, I will discover which methods are good for whom and what situations they are best used for. Perhaps, I too can develop my research methods “palette” and discover their individual uses.
Works Cited:
Milam, P. (2004). Destination Information: A Road Map for the Journey. Library Media Connection, 22(7), 20-23
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment