Monday, September 15, 2008

I'll be whatever I wanna do.

When I enrolled into this course I had no idea what it would entail. To be quite honest, I only took this course because it was a required class for the diploma program in teacher-librarianship. Because of that, I didn’t even really pay that much attention to the course description, but I did read it. Based on the description, the course still seemed vague to me, but since I had to take it, I put my cursor over the registration button and proceeded to click the mouse.

Unlike some of my fellow classmates, I have not been working as a teacher-librarian. I have had the opportunity to work as one as a teacher-on-call (T.O.C.) for various lengths of time (so far 6 weeks have been the longest), but that is the extent of my teacher-librarian experience.

I find it interesting that students training to be classroom teachers are given lots of opportunity to learn how to teach and learn about the inner workings of the job. When I got my first job as a classroom teacher, I wasn’t too surprised by what happened or the amount of miscellaneous paper work, meetings, and the responsibilities a classroom teacher holds. Granted that this is only my second term in the program and there may be a reason for this, I am surprised that there is not an opportunity to work as a teacher-librarian with a mentor like we had for our education degrees.

I’ve really enjoyed the classes I’ve taken so far in this program. I’ve learnt so much about this profession, but the more classes I take the more I am concerned that I won’t be able to balance all that this job entails. It would be good to see how current teacher-librarians handle this and how they balance their work lives with their personal lives.

(Title of this entry taken from Futurama, Season 4, Episode 9)

2 comments:

Wendy said...

If you're lucky, you'll have a strong local TL organization like we do in the Central Okanagan. New TL's ask lots of questions on our internal e-mail conference or have one or two TL's they can go to for quick questions. I couldn't have asked for a better district to become a new TL in!

Wendy

Kristi said...

Thanks so much for the help becoming a follower! It worked this time! Your instructions are better than blogger's.